Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:01:15 +0300
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Subject:   Re: using loopback address as primary address

On Monday 24 July 2006 16:48, Brian Candler wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 12:38:56PM +0300, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> > Can I somehow use lo1 address
> > for connections initiated from Host_2?
>
> Options I know of:
>
> (1) the application which originates the connection can explicitly bind
> to the lo1 address (see for example telnet -s and ping -S options)

I am looking for a "global just-works" sollution something like a
routing/ip addressing  scheme that will allow me to use individual
(unrelated) IP addresses assigned to individual boxes on the same
ethernet segment with a gateway to the internet

> (2) the application can run in a jail(8) whose IP address is lo1, in which
> case a 'bind to any' will bind to this address only

If that could happen without the jail part it would be fine...