Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 2010 11:47:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Deb Goodkin <deb@freebsdfoundation.org>, security-officer@freebsd.org, gljennjohn@googlemail.com, freebsd security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> - Or whatever other method to get ISDN back in kernel ?
>>
>> It seems code exists :-)
>>
>> http://old.nabble.com/ISDN4BSD-on-8-current-td23919925.html
>> 	ISDN4BSD package has been updated to compile on FreeBSD
>> 	8-current
>>
>> 	http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/isdn4bsd/
>>
>> Apparently needs massaging into main FreeBSD tree.
>
> I agree that my I4B code should be re-written somewhat before committed.
> Possibly we should update the API's present too, to support IP-telephony
> aswell.

Just to clarify things a little for those following it: the original I4B code
was removed for entirely practical reasons: it couldn't run without the Giant
lock, and support for the Giant lock over the network stack was removed.  I'm
happy to see ISDN support reintroduced as long as it will see ongoing
maintenance/etc.

I'm not familiar with Hans's most recent code, but the integration of his USB
stack and his recent receipt of a FreeBSD commit bit suggest a promising
future.  I would suggest trying to rope in a reveiwer and collaborator
(perhaps someone like Bjoern Zeeb?) to work through it before considering a
merge, however.  This is especially important with projects like VIMAGE,
network stack parallelism projects, etc, on-going to make sure that the new
ISDN code will be able to support these new features rather than become a
potential obstacle (as the old code did for the MPSAFEty work).

Robert