Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 09:58:23 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why encourage stupid people to use *BSD WAS:Re: IE

Thomas M. Sommers said on Jun  2, 2000 at 20:48:25:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > People are not prepared for, and may not put up with, these
> > > complexities and limitations.
> >
> > Most of these complexities are artifacts of substantial design
> > flaws, which should be corrected, instead of glossed over as
> > "that's the way it works; it's better, trust me".
>
> Some are, but some are due to essential differences between the kinds of
> systems that FreeBSD and Windows are.   These difference will remain
> unless you convert FreeBSD to a single-user system.
>
> > > For example, people will say: "What do you mean I have to login?
> > > I didn't have to do that with Windows."
> >
> > Windows 3.1, perhaps.
>
> 95 and 98, too.
>
> > Probably it should be called "unlocking",
> > not "logging in".  Certainly, it should be possible to turn on
> > a FreeBSD box and just get a graphical desktop or shell prompt
> > with a particular users credentials as an active default.  It's
> > the user's choice, not the OS designers.  The "login problem"
> > is trivial to overcome.
>
> While such a capability might be acceptable to a home or small-business
> user, giving the user the capability to turn off security would be
> unacceptable in a larger installation.

(a) I don't see what's so hard about logging in.  Anyone who
uses email uses a password.  Ordinary people aren't *that* dumb.

(b) I read of an interesting setup done by a linux user for his
mother: the startup scripts simply su to an unprivileged user, and
start x as that user with some nice preconfigured desktop.  End user
experience for mother is same as in windows, but she's still an
unprivileged user.

There *may* be some point to that if the machine really isn't going
to be used by more than one person and if that person is especially
scared of computers generally.  Otherwise I don't think it's
worth the trouble, though...

> > Well, the inability to undo an "oops" is a moronic point about
> > FreeBSD.  Humans have accidents; you must accomodate this fact
> > about humans, rather than trying to suppress it.  You must
> > design systems which tolerate faults.
>
> That's what backups are for.

What's wrong with having an undelete command, if someone can implement
one?

R.