Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:54:51 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extra battery causes hangs (T40p, FreeBSD 5.1/CURRENT)

> The laptop comes with one primary battery and, as an opion, an extra battery
> that fits into the "Ultra Bay" (replacing the CD-ROM). As I realized after
> some time, the presence of the extra battery causes hangs. When I have the
> CD-ROM in the bay instead of the extra battery, there are no such problems.
> But when the battery is in, the machine hangs totally when:
>
>    * I Reboot or attempt to halt the machine (sometime before syncing
>      disks).
>    * I open/close the lid.
>    * I toggle the keyboard LED light.
>    * I press the hardware volume controls.
>    * ... and probably when doing other stuff too

the extra battery works on my T30 with apm

> I assume this has something to do with ACPI events or something simiar
> coming in when such actions are taken. The question is why it happens with
> the extra battery but not without it.
>
> The "apm" command correctly identifies the extra battery though, and
> indicators work correctly.
>
> ACPI support is loaded as a module, and APM support is disabled (I assume the
> "apm" command uses ACPI in the abscence of APM?). During boot, the following
> ACPI related messages appear:

no. is is either apm or acpi. if you enable both, acpi will detect apm
running and disable it, as far as I know.

try disabling acpi completely and see if the battery then works. on T30ies,
apm is still the way to go, acpi does not function properly enough yet.

the interesting part is that you do not have other acpi issues, is that
correct? does suspend, resume, hibernate, temperature, battery and
throttle control all work for you, modulo the above errors?