Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 03:29:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parity Ram

According to David Greenman:

> >[...Discussion on ECC/parity/no-parity memory...]
> >
> >I seem to recall something about partiy and/or ECC memory having slower
> >access rates, or something, and therefor being a bad thing preformace-wise
> >but a good thing safety-wise?
> >
> >I don't know where I got this, but could anyone with knowledge in the
> >subject maybe enlighten me on the amount of truth behind this?
>
>   In order to update the memory, the ECC must be recalculated over the
> entire 64bit quadword. This escentially means that you have to read the
> memory first, apply the changes/calculate the new ECC and then write it
> back. Obviously,this makes memory writes quite a bit slower.

Hmm... It's still not quite clear to me. That is, does this slow my
computer down, in case I use ECC?

It seems to me all this could be done on the DIMM/SIMM, or something,
possibly clocked at multiple of the bus clockspeed, and therefor
not effect the rate at which memory could be read/written over the bus
by the CPU.

If that's not the case, and the computer is actually slowed down by ECC,
how much performace do you loose? 0.1%? 5%? 30%?

  /Mikael