Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 14:10:54 -0500
From:      "Steven D. Arnold" <yami@access.digex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        disc@casti.com
Subject:   BIND on FreeBSD

Hi,

I have a machine running FreeBSD 2.0.5, and I recently obtained BIND v4.9.3
beta 26.  I entered the BSD directory in the package and typed "make," and
everything seemed to work up until the end, at which point I got the error:

gcc -O2 -I. -I/usr/local/lib/named/BSD/named/../BIND -I/usr/local/lib/named/
BSD/named/../BIND/include -DUSE_OPTIONS_H    -o named version.o db_dump.o
db_glue.o db_load.o db_lookup.o db_reload.o db_save.o db_secure.o db_update.o
dmalloc.o ns_forw.o ns_init.o ns_main.o ns_maint.o ns_ncache.o ns_req.o
ns_resp.o ns_sort.o ns_stats.o ns_validate.o storage.o tree.o
db_dump.o: Undefined symbol `_inet_nsap_ntoa' referenced from text segment
db_load.o: Undefined symbol `_inet_nsap_addr' referenced from text segment
ns_main.o: Undefined symbol `___res_randomid' referenced from text segment
ns_resp.o: Undefined symbol `___res_nameinquery' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I.e., everything looks fine until nearly the last stage, then it breaks.

Reviewing the README in the BSD directory, I see there is a diffs file that
needs to be patched into the source code found in /usr/src/lib/libc/net.
However, this patch file does not match the source files I have in that
directory, either by line number affected or by actual text.  Thus, the diffs
file appears to be wrong for the version of FreeBSD I have.

Any ideas on where to go from here?  I suppose I could manually patch
everything in, but I was hoping there'd be a correct diffs file somewhere for
FreeBSD.  This diffs file seems a little longish, and if I can't even count on
the lines of code being where they were predicted to be, it might take a while
to do this manually.

Also, if I am barking up the wrong tree in general and you have a solution,
obviously I would love to hear from you. :)

Thanks!

-Steve-