Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:37:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        "Christopher J. Umina" <uminac@216-164-225-145.c3-0.wth-ubr2.sbo-wth.ma.cable.rcn.com>
Subject:   Re: matching a string

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Christopher J. Umina wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I'm writing some code to pull screen names out of a log, but I
> can't seem to figure out the regular expressions to get it done.  If you
> want to see the log file it's at:
> http://216.164.225.145:81/~uminac/mp3/logs/master
> 	What I've been looking to make the script do is just list the
> screen names without the brackets, that's all.  For instance:
> kelzy16
> cc skillet
> ccgirl436
> ccgirl436
> meikman99
> bctictac8

Exactly which combination of metacharacters, regular expressions and
commands depends on what you are attempting to accomplish in your script
apart from isolating the usernames and by what means, but as a general
example:

cat master | sed -n 's/.*\[\(.*\)\].*/\1/p'

should get you near or in the ballpark.

Cheers,

Viktor