Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:40:51 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Scott Donovan <scottd@telstra.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BT848/winTV/Teletext/video4linux etc.

Randallght o

> but a higher-level library
> interface would be useful to hide the nuts-and-bolts and make it easier to
> cook TV/capture apps.

I think we should standarise on the newer Video4Linux Version 2 API.
Unlike classic V4L, this API has a userland library so you do not need
to clone all the ioctls exactly.
And the author is quite happy to rename it to something like
Video4Unix  (ie drop the linux part)

> I don't know anything about this functionality.  Does the driver now pass
> back keys from the remote, or how does this work exactly?

There is sample code for the Remote Control on the bt848 ftp site
ftp://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848

> (This is another area where that C lib layer would be useful.  We shouldn't
> be stuffing frequency sets in the driver/kernel.  This belongs in a lib or
> server interface above the driver below the app.)
I agree. It does not really belong in the driver.

However,  I will add. But perhaps someone would like to create a libtv
or libvideo