Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:47:20 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sneezy.sri.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NMI Error success story

My home machine is a 386DX33 with an EISA bus, about 5 years old now.
Since the first release of 386BSD I've had problems with it getting
NMIs and then panicing, apparently during heavy disk (IDE) i/o (often
during fsck).

The problem vanishes completely if I remove the "halt" instruction
from the idle loop (incidentally, this means I had no problem with
NetBSD 1.0, which doesn't use the halt instruction).  I don't
understand why this is, but it's something that others having a
similar problem might try.

-- Richard