Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:33:09 +0900
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org>
To:        acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: passive cooling and cpufreq

Hi,

>>>>> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:45:56 +0900
>>>>> Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org> said:

ume> I made my new patch:

ume> 	http://www.imasy.or.jp/~ume/FreeBSD/passive-cooling-20050707.diff

I reworked and put my new patch:

	http://www.imasy.or.jp/~ume/FreeBSD/passive-cooling-20050713.diff

ume> It doesn't modify kern_cpu.c.  Instead, I added some code into
ume> powerd(8) to don't try to update frequency when
ume> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_active is on.

It is not mandatory.  So, I nuked the code around it.

I did following changes from my previous patch:

- It seems ACPI spec says a threshold is _PSV.  So, _PSV is just used
  as a threshold, and hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_threshold was nuked.

- Since we don't need to expose _TC1, _TC2 and _TSP, I nuked related
  sysctl MIBs.

- When cooling down is succeed and a temperature becomes low than a
  threshold, a freq was restored immediately in my previous patch.
  Now, a freq is restored by degrees as ACPI Spec Figure 12-2
  Temperature and CPU Performance Versus Time.

- Now, passive cooling is enabled by default but tz0 only.

If there is no objection, I'll commit it into HEAD.

Sincerely,

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/