Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 16:18:40 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Decent network cards for 100Mbit?

>sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>>
>> > My only complaint about the EEPro 100B cards is paying Intel $65 for
>> > a card that has a single $4 chip on it.  Bleh.  Plus, the performance
>> > I've seen hasn't been all that stellar, but I may be doing something
>> > wrong.  I haven't really tried tuning the system much yet, just doing
>> > some simple throughput tests using ftp and tcpblast.
>>
>> Performance from these cards should be very good. I was able to receive a
>> full 100 Mbps with one of these cards in a P-133 running 3.0-970124-SNAP,
>> ie. more than two years ago.
>>
>> To *send* a full 100 Mbps you need slightly more CPU, say a P-166.
>
>I should probably point out I'm doing network throughput torture
>tests with 64-byte packets.  ;^)  Any reasonably good Fast Ethernet
>card on a respectable PCI machine will do 100 Mbps using 1500 byte
>packets.  Using FreeBSD-3.1 (somewhere between RELEASE and STABLE)
>on a PII/233 (sender) and PPro 200 (receiver), I get the following
>figures:
>
>	Driver 	Card		Throughput
>	------	------		-------------------------------------
>	xl	3c905		30.4 Mbps
>	xl	3c905B		32.0 Mbps
>				doesn't work unless there is a 3c905
>				in the system as well.
>	fxp	EEPro 100B	32.7 Mbps
>	pn	LNE100TX	39.6 Mbps
>
>I haven't attempted to measure interrupt overhead or anything like
>that since the only important measure for MY needs are "how fast
>can this thing stuff bits onto the wire?"  I think the pn device is
>approaching the saturation point; the others do not come close.
>
>I'll also be using these for testing multicast throughput later on,
>with a lot of multicast groups.  Since the PNIC chip supports "perfect
>multicast filtering," I.e. it has hardware filters for all ethernet
>multicast addresses, I am hoping these cards will perform well in this
>environment as well.
>
>Your mileage may vary.  ;^)

   You benchmark is broken. The pro/100, for one, can easily do 100Mbps
continuously. I should know since not only did I write the driver, but I
use it exclusively here and on wcarchive (and in the latter, I have graphs
and download stats to prove it).

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org