Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 19:37:44 +0200
From:      "Richard Noorlandt" <lists.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

2007/5/24, JH <jh@ops.everybox.com>:

> On 5/24/07, Richard Noorlandt <lists.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Will it be possible to create the tables with the current GPT tool, and
> > later grow them safely with the new tool when it's available?
>

> It sounds like you're at the newfs stage this week, so it's the perfect
> opportunity for testing.

Actually I already have been doing some tests with array growth. That's how
I found out that I was in trouble....

"Trust, but verify."

> Advice heard on the list is fine, but you really want to see the growfs
> operation happen safely on your setup.  Make the filesystem, fill it to
> 90% full with a few big and little dummy files, then follow the modification
> advice, create new files so you're back at 90% full, and verify that md5's
> of the old files are still intact.  The two professions where we find the
> most time spent on rehearsals are acting and system administration.

I totally agree with you here. Ideas from the  mailinglist are very
valuable, but I first want to test things myself. My data is too valuable
for me to just do something and cross my fingers.

Anyway, I guess I'll try the delete and recreate strategy on GPT when I have
time, and see what happens. But I'm afraid it will destroy the data, so
other/more suggestions are still welcome.

Best regards,

Richard