Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:39:16 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Squires <mikes@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive cooling

In message <200003092212.RAA67477@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu> Mike Squires writes:
: The cheapest method is to bolt a 5 inch fan to two front panel blanking plates,
: with an empty space the size of one plate inbetween, and then connect it to
: the PS.  This will be more reliable than the $150/each drive trays, since
: the fans are larger and can be easily monitored and you eliminate several
: SCSI connectors with each drive supported this way.  It does look ugly,
: though...

I did this with a 3.5"? Power supply fan and it didn't look too ugly.
Works great, however.  I'm surprised that there aren't more fan
arrangements like this commercially available.  Too many people seem
to think that one bay high solutions are the only ones that are viable
:-(.

Warner