Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:21:01 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011270061.c74167@mired.org>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump/restore strips protectionbits/modes/flags

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk> types:
> I'm in the process on moving my FreeBSD-setup onto a larger drive. Since I'm
> no expert in dump/restore so I've followed the steps outlined in
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK
> and that has worked well those other times I've tried this.
>
> Not this time though. In one of the filesystem moves I loose the
> protectionbits(*) for everything but the owner. And all directories belongs
> to root/wheel (not good for /home). And I just can't figure out why that
> happens.

It's impossible to diagnose the problem with the information you've
given here. Did you by any chance save the process in a script? Do you
still have the dump files so you can see if the problem is in dump or
restore? Did you do something strange like make one of the file
systems something other than UFS?

> On a side note, why is dump/restore so dead slow? For a 9GB filesystem it
> took the better part of 5 hours ... on 2 ATA100-drives....

Got me. I don't think speed was a critical factor when they were
written, as most dumps went to open reel tapes, which are *slow*. I
recall lots of hacks/patches/workarounds to make dump output to
streaming tape drives actually stream.

> (*) What are they called on BSD? Protectionsbit, modes or flags?

Modes. They are bits, but modes is more specific. Flags are different
things; see the chflags man page for more information.

	<mike