Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:09:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        hm@kts.org
Cc:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG, isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: If they US contingent wants ISDN4BSD...

Hellmuth Michaelis writes:
> > Or better yet, somebody should give him ssh access to a machine
> > that's connected to a real ISDN line and has a Teles card in it...
> > With $499 PC's for sale, that'd probably be cheaper :-)
>
> Take volume IP internet access charges and telephone costs ("hey,
> please write down the panic output and press reset ....") into
> account and you'll end up with something horrible expensive
> for that solution - phk's idea is much cheaper, easier and faster
> (also, such a device is just needed for the development time, after
>  that it may go back to where it came from. Debugging should be
>  no problem with that $499 setup).
>
> Not to talk about that the one in the US will probably not pick up
> his phone anymore after 10 such calls at 3 o'clock in the morning
> US time.
>
> Having written, bootstrapped and debugged the i4b stack, i am quite
> shure that developing a US stack remotely with such a setup makes
> no sense at all (for me).

I guess you're right. Having that reset button sure is handy :-)

But just for fun, I'd like to point out that once you got the
hardware driver debugged and working as a netgraph node (i.e., just
doing the Layer 1 part), then you could do all the Layer 2 and
Layer 3 debugging in user space :-)

-Archie