Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 23:22:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
To:        sln@public.jn.sd.cn
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question from Song Lining (fwd)

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Ken Marsh wrote:

> I have no clue, can anyone field this one?
>
> Ken
>
> From: sdjn <sln@public.jn.sd.cn>
> To: 'Ken Marsh' <durang@u.washington.edu>
>
> Hi, Ken
>
> Sorry to bother you again.
>
> I tried to establish a ppp connection to a Internet Server using "ppp"
> command, after the line up, I tried to "ping" a hosts using IP address
> like 202.102.128.111 and it returned well. But if I used a domain name,
> it didn't work at all and told me that I must define the relevant
> definitions( gateway, name server, network, etc.) to make it run.  I want
> to know which files must be modified? What is the most important command
> to define the network on a Unix host?

It sounds like you have everything set up except the resolver.

	man 5 resolver

will give you all the details to set up your nameserver configuration. You
need to edit the file /etc/resolv.conf to add your ISP's nameservers. Then
you will be able to use DNS addresses.

> Give me answer if you have time.
>
> Thanks,
> Song Lining

Frank
--
Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
draft dodger sleeps in the White House.    <unknown>