Date:      17 Mar 2001 22:39:38 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, mit@mitayai.net
Subject:   Re: SPA with sendmail

mit@mitayai.net (Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe) writes:

> Is it possible to use Outlook Express' Secure Password Authentication
> feature with sendmail on recent -STABLE systems to do authentication-based
> SMTP relaying?

Probably not.  I'm not an expert on these particular protocols, but
the authors of leafnode appear to agree with me.  Exchange appears to
implement a proprietary protocol for this authentication.

There do appear to be ways to configure outlook to use SASL or
encrypted tunnels, so there *are* standards-based ways of getting this
sort of authentication.  You also get the benefit of the higher level
of confidence in the security of an open protocol and implementation.

Authenticating Outlook clients sounds like something in the way of
closing the barn door after the horse is gone, anyway.