Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:59:28 +0200
From:      masqurin <masqurin@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem during hardware probing

Hello,

I can't install freebsd 4.6 (nor 4.5) on my notebook (compaq presario
1211 EA).

At the beginning of the installation process, during hardware probing,
the program freeze. The last two lines displayed before freezing are:

sc0: <System console> at drq 0 flag 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>

At first, I thought that the value 0x100 and 0x300 where not correct,
and so I tried to change them in the kernel configuration section.

I found the line

Syscons console driver sc0 flags: 0x???

and replaced the "???" by common values such as 0x100, 0x200 and 0x300.
But none of them solved my problem.

I've also tried other Unix and Linux distributions such as netBSD, Suse,
Caldera... But it always fail during hardware probing.

It would be great if someone could throw light on this problem for
me !

Thanks.