Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2008 11:32:54 +0100
From:      xorquewasp@googlemail.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ntpd jail problem

Anybody know why ntpd might not work in a jail?

I'm running an openntpd instance on the host machine, which syncs the
clock from the pool at pool.ntp.org. From the log output, ntpd claims to
be synced and the time does seem to be correct.

I'm then running another openntpd in a jail which doesn't set the time,
just serves it to clients.

Something appears to be wrong, however. Any client that tries to get the
time from the jailed openntpd simply says:

$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/ntpd -ds listening on 127.0.0.1 ntp engine ready
reply from 192.168.3.21: not synced, next query 615s

The ntpd *never* appears to sync.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong, here? Is there some problem
with jailed openntpd (that doesn't attempt to set the time) that I'm not
aware of?

Any help would be appreciated.