Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:06:29 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        lawrence.petrykanyn@sympatico.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to delete a package

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

> =3D=3D=3D>  Installing for libgda3-1.9.102_3
> =3D=3D=3D>  libgda3-1.9.102_3 conflicts with installed package(s):
>      libgda2-1.2.4_1,1
>      They install files into the same place.
>      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).

As people have noted you can use -f to force deletion. The problem you
are experiencing would typically happen either because you are trying
to install some top-level packages that are truly in conflict, in the
sense that they depend on conflicting versions of libgda.

Alternatively, you have older versions of various packages installed
that depend on the older version of libgda3, and are now trying to
install the gnome stuff from a newer ports tree. In this case you may
want to perform a full upgrade (using
portupgrade/portmanagaer/portmaster/etc).

forcibly deleting the package will work, but the other packages
depending on them will very likely break.

> (As an aside, is it okay to run these installations from a terminal window
> from inside the Gnome GUI environment, or should I be outside of Gnome
> altogether when I do program installations/upgrades?)

It doesn't matter, except in so far as any actions would kill your
running terminal. I would suspect that the already running terminal
would survive (certainly this is the case with most), though I don't
know if the gnome terminal is doing stuff even after initial start-up
that might cause it to die.

(To be strict of course it's always safest to not run stuff you are
actively upgrading, while upgrading. In practice though it "tends to
work".)

--=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'