Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2021 18:18:46 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitioning 1T HDD

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 21:36:15 -0600, Duke Normandin wrote:
>2 equal Primary partitions?

Since there are strong opinions related to limitations of MBR, a
bootable Linux doesn't need a primary partition at all. It can be
installed on an extended partition, too. However, you might want to use
three partitions, one for FreeBSD another for Linux and a third for a
Linux swap. Actually there's no need to use a Linux swap partition, a
swap file can be used, too. For Linux I'm in favour for everything in
one partition, excepted of the swap. You didn't ask for a Linux
multi-boot, since when using the syslinux bootloader without
chainloading, the kernels of all Linux installs need to be on one
partition.

In a nutshell, assuming 1 FreeBSD install and 1 Linux install, I would
go for 3 MBR partitions, assuming ext4 for Linux.

Note, a lot of people claim to be satisfied with using ZFS on Linux,
too. I'm not taking this path. If you consider to do so, also consider
to care about hints such as

"Warning: Do not run zpool import pool! This will import your pools
using /dev/sd? which will lead to problems the next time you rearrange
your drives. This may be as simple as rebooting with a USB drive left
in the machine." -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ZFS#Importing_a_pool_created_by_id

"Your boot time can be significantly impacted if you update your
intitramfs (eg when doing a kernel update) when you have additional but
non-permanently attached pools imported because these pools will get
added to your initramfs zpool.cache and ZFS will attempt to import
these extra pools on every boot, regardless of whether you have
exported it and removed it from your regular zpool.cache." -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ZFS#Fix_slow_boot_caused_by_failed_import_of_unavailable_pools_in_the_initramfs_zpool.cache