Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:48:09 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: swap & huge mem systems

Thus spake Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, David Schultz wrote:
>
> > Thus spake Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>:
> > > I just bought that new Fujitsu Ultra160
> > > screamer, fastest disk in the West (3.5ms access, 15K rotation).  Eat my
> > > dust!
> >
> > Given the reliability of Fujitsu disks I've seen, there's a high
> > probability that your disk will be worth no more than its weight
> > in dust before too very long...  :P
>
> I've had excellent luck with my previous two, *and* they come with a 5
> year warranty (I guess they have to overcome some bad press, which you
> sound like you've either read or written).

That's funny.  Fujitsu used to be known for having terrible
warranties and cheap drives that could sometimes barely read from
some sections of the disk.  I last saw one in 1996; I sent in for
two replacements during the course of the 1-year warranty period
before the poor fellow who owned the drive gave up and went with a
different brand.  But to be fair, I have heard that Western
Digital drives also used to have problems, back in the early 90's
when the company was struggling financially.  Maybe Fujitsu has
changed as well.