Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:14:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Hartmann <root@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Access bits of /dev/null

Dear Sirs.
Sometimes the system changes the access bits of /dev/null to 500,
so some applications and utilities faile because they cant't write to
/dev/null. Can anybody tell me how to solve the problem? It seems
trivial, but changing the access bits have had no effect because
after a while the system overrides these changes. I don't know where
these changes are made, neither by cron, nor by rc.

Has anybody ideas or a solution? Or is the problem a problem because
managing a FBSD isn't my favourite profession ;-))

Best wishes,

Oliver

O. Hartmann

Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet