Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:16:07 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA driver/gmirror problems, multiple boxes...

Johan Ström wrote:
> Hello
>
> I got a few boxes, elfi crus and gw-1, running gmirror. These are  three
> completely different boxes, but all are running 6.1. They all  have
> multiple disks which are gmirrored, two of them SATA-only and  one has a
> mirror between one SATA and one ATA.
> Some times now and then they all have different problems with the
> mirrors.. All three in different ways.. although elfi being the one
> crashing most, its also the one with most disk IO so that might be
> "expected" (not that it crashes but that its the one crashing most
> often)..
> First, some HW spec:

[...]

> Yes.. it fails and then the whole box totally HANGS... No input
> possible at all.. had to hard-reboot it with the button... Not good  at
> all.. I have been running the disks that are now in elfi in this
> machine before, and at that time I had the same problem.. disk  problems
> -> total hang.. That was with sata only, this appears to be  a problem
> with the ATA disk too?..
>
> I have never succeeded to force these crashes.. they appear now and
> then but I can never produce them on demand.. The crashes happens now
> and then, no regular intervals though.. For elfi:
> Apr 24 05:20:27 elfi kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0s1: provider ad6
> disconnected.
> (I actually cant find any other entry in the logs, but judging from  IRC
> logs: march 28, march 12, feb 13, jan 22, jan 18)
>
> For crus:
> Apr 23 13:46:14 crus kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm1: provider ad8
> disconnected.
> Apr 13 09:57:49 crus kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm1: provider ad8
> disconnected.
> I think it has happened once more, but thats it..
>
> For gw-1 it's luckily only once so far.. At least with the current
> install, it has had problems when the maxtor disks was running in it
> (and i think it was 6.0 back then)
>
> So.. Three different boxes, with three different chipsets... With  three
> different crash scenarios.. But they all have problems.. So  where is
> the actual problem? The HW? The chipset drivers? Gmirror  code? I have
> run SMART tests on the crashing disks, no errors.. I  have run powermax
> (maxtors own test program) a while back on the  maxtor disks, no
> problems.. I have tried changing SATA cables on some  of the disks, no
> difference..
>
> Does anyone have any clue about what can be causing this? What is  most
> likely? How do we hunt this down?

I have same problems for a long time (you can found my posts in this
list last year). From my point of view - this is HW problem. For
example: I have 4 same machines Sun Fire X2100 and one of them have this
problem (always on same ATA channel), others not.
HW becomes cheapper and cheapper at cost of lower quality.

Miroslav Lachman