Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 08:30:27 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WEP not working

On Monday 06 February 2006 01:27 am, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Dhclient does not work through wpa_supplicant when the connection has
> been established with WEP encryption. You can hand connect without
> wpa_supplicant and dhclient will most likely succeed.

dhclient works just fine in conjunction with wpa_supplicant.  I find it to
be a lot easier to do with wpa_supplicant, as you can put all the
wireless config info (ssid, channel, wep mode, wep key, etc) into a
single file, and edit /etc/rc.conf to use ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP" and
have the rc scripts take care of everything automatically.

wpa_supplicant.conf support no-encryption, wep, wpa, wpa-psk, wpa-eapol,
and a few others.

DHCP support is separate from the wireless link support, same as DHCP
support is separate from wired link support.  Once devd sees the link up
event from the NIC driver, it starts dhclient on that interface.  How
that link up even is generated does not really matter.

> If you wish I can send you my self-brewed daemon to automatically
> establish connections. It doesn't support wpa, though.

wpa_supplicant is a daemon that handle no-encryption, wep, and wpa
connections, automatically for you.  And it comes free with FreeBSD 6+,
and as a port in 5.x.

--
Freddie Cash
fcash@ocis.net