Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:10:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        rv@groa.uct.ac.za, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request to add this to FAQ re: swap space

> > Joe Greco wrote (about the ASUS P/E-P55T2P4D):
> > > I can't get anything more than 192MB to work reliably on this board
> > > (6 x 32MB SIMM modules) - unless we go with the mega mondo $$$$ 64MB
> > > SIMM's..  and even those I have doubts about.  We put the 4 that we
> > > have on a P/I-P55T2P4 board and it refused to work until we relaxed
> > > the RAM timing to 70ns.  Gives me a sick feeling.
> >
> > I am running 5 P55T2P4D boards with 256MB (4x64MB) and they
> > are running fine (all RAM is being used by the OS). The memory
> > is '1st grade RAM' (whatever that may be, although definately more
> > expensive) and was specicially imported for these machines.
>
> But youv'e only half loaded the board, it has 8 simm sockets, try
> even adding 2 more simms and watch what happens to your stability....
>
> The crux is, we went to the T2P4D for the 8 simm sockets, and I have
> yet to see one of these boards run correctly with even 8 single sided
> 12 chip simm modules in it!
>
> ANYONE out there have one of these boards with 8 simms in it working?

   Yes. 512MB using 64MB SIMMs.  Its running 2.1.5-STABLE and has been
   up for nearly a month.  The only time it was down before that was
   a 'make world' to upgrade from -RELEASE to -STABLE, so in effect it
   has been running this way for a long time - no glitches.

   It runs our primary WWW server - see http://www-nise.nosc.mil.  It
   also does some other tasks - I'm sending this email from here right
   now. :-)

   I took the advice I got from ASUS to buy quality RAM (they named
   Kingston or Viking) and bought 8 64MB SIMMs for ~$6700, which I'm
   sure isn't a rock bottom price.

   --Craig Huckabee
   huck@nosc.mil