Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2018 16:47:04 +0000
From:      Colin Faber <cfaber@gmail.com>
To:        Diane Bruce <db@db.net>
Cc:        Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdteoenming@gmail.com>, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the universal (world wide) understanding behind degaussing harddisks?

2nd,

shred with random write 3 pass and zero'd forth pass should be enough for
most data recovery efforts. SSDs however are another problem, as they're
copy on write devices and are over provisioned to accommodate for failure.
In those cases I would consider 9 to 16 full disk random writes with at
least 4 zeroing passes, but that still doesn't guarantee the data will not
be recoverable.