Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 05:23:49 -0400
From:      "John Bolster" <j.bol@gte.net>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Logging problems

Hi!

I have been running my FreeBSD server for some time now and I've noticed
that some of the commands that I have in syslog.conf don't seem to be being
carried out. I have read the man pages without finding any reason these
things are not working. Below is my syslog.conf file. This is FBSD 4.1
Release.

Even though I expect log entries to be generated every time I connect
through sshd, the auth.log file has remained empty and its last modified
date is over a year ago. My /etc/ssh/sshd_config file does say:

SysLogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO

Mount.today, mount.yesterday, natd.log, security, syslogd and userlog have
also not been modified since 2000. The named programs (ftpd, imapd, etc.)
seem to be logging correctly. Also, root (me) never receives any
notifications except for the different periodics.

I will appreciate any advice anyone has. I use ee as my editor so I
suspected that the tabs were really spaces so I redid all the tabs in vi
with no change.

Thanks,

John Bolster

Here is the syslog.conf file:

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.13 2000/02/08 21:57:28 rwatson Exp $
#
#       Spaces are NOT valid field separators in this file.
#       Consult the syslog.conf(5) manpage.
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err root
security.*                                      /var/log/security
security.*                                      root
mail.notice                                     /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*                                          /var/log/cron
*.err                                           root
*.notice;news.err                               root
*.alert                                         root
*.emerg                                         *
# uncomment this to enable logging of all log messages to /var/log/all.log
#*.*                                            /var/log/all.log
# uncomment this to enable logging to a remote loghost named loghost
#*.*                                            @loghost
# uncomment these if you're running inn
# news.crit                                     /var/log/news/news.crit
# news.err                                      /var/log/news/news.err
# news.notice                                   /var/log/news/news.notice
!startslip
*.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
!ppp
*.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log
!natd
*.*                                             /var/log/natd.log
!named
*.*                                             /var/log/named.log
!ftpd
*.*                                             /var/log/ftpd
auth.*                                          /var/log/auth.log
!imapd
*.*                                             /var/log/imapd.log
!sendmail
*.*                                             /var/log/maillog
!ntpd
*.*                                             /var/log/ntpdlog