Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:23:38 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Mattias =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rk?= <mattias.bjork@sydnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding Fujitsu Siemens Primergy RX220 AMD64.

Mattias Bj=F6rk <mattias.bjork@sydnet.net> writes:

> Hi List members,
>
> Have recently acquired me an "Fujitsu Siemens Primergy RX220 AMD64".
> Everything works fine except one thing, the build in dual broadcom
> 5780 NIC. I see that 6.1 does not support that hardware according to
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/hardware-amd64.html.
>
> I thought that freebsd-questions@freebsd.org was a better choice of
> sending the mail to than amd64@freebsd.org But I might be wrong here.
>
> Anyhow I have two questions more or less:
>
> Has anybody succeed in getting it to work and do you have a patch for
> it? (Should I try out stable branch instead of 6.1 Release?)
>
> I everything else fails could you recommend a NIC that works with
> FreeBSD and is dual Gigabit. Im thinking of an "Intel Pro/1000 MT DP
> Server" or "Intel Pro/1000PT Dual Port Server Adapter PCI-E" how ever
> the later I could not find on
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/hardware-amd64.html.
>
> But if you check it up on Intel's homepage it mentions that FreeBSD is
> support but that is rater vague description on with arch its supported
> on. (If I'm not missing something that is)
>
> Hopefully support for the broadcom 5780-chipset is right around the corne=
r.

The CPU architecture shouldn't make any difference for these adapters,
so don't worry too much about that.=20=20

The 5780 support doesn't look like it should be that hard; PR 68351
seems to have just gotten some patches that may do it.  NetBSD's
support should be easy to port in any case.

The Intel Pro/1000PT has an 82572 controller.  That is supported by
the em device, so you should be fine with that.  The other Intel card
you mention I think is in the same driver as well.