Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:18:28 +0200
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Sorry about sysinstall.

Terry Lambert wrote:

>John Baldwin wrote:
>

> [big snip of irrelevant stuff]
>
>To me, it doesn't matter *how* the FreeBSD got on the system,
>what matters is that it *be* FreeBSD, and not some mish-mash
>of something-not-FreeBSD and FreeBSD calling itself FreeBSD;
>*that* would cause problems.
>
>I really don't care if FreeBSD got installed because someone
>waved a magic wand over their computer.
>
>In fact, I'd prefer it: I'd buy a wand for myself, and visit
>every computer store in a 100 mile radius.  8-) 8-).
>
>-- Terry

Doesn't matter to me either, so what's the problem? :)

A true FreeBSD install is everything in /usr/src (with parts such as
sendmail or BIND optionally disabled) and optional packages. So (as we
all know), FreeBSD is by definition an Operating Environment (kernel
*and* userland). As I see it, installing FreeBSD with a can of Spam is
valid, as long as the kernel and userland in /usr/src are in-tact. From
what I can tell, we'd be prettifying the install process and just
selecting a couple of extra default packages (doing some good security
auditing of course)... so there's no equivocation that this isn't
FreeBSD... it's FreeBSD with a couple of packages selected by default
(which, admittedly, one can do with the current installer).

There's also no reason we can't make the installer also able to install
a "server" set up. Every "pretty" Linux distro does it; I don't see why
we shouldn't (considering that's what we already do by default, heh).

So, what I see here is that we all have the same ideas about what this
should be, we're just saying it different ways and misinterpreting it
and the like, then bitching at each other ;). I think that we should now
be bitching more about what default settings to use than if we're
talking about the same thing, though -- that seems clear to me.

If I'm wrong, hit me in the head with a frying pan and tell me ;)

--Devon