Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 1994 21:12:26 -0700
From:      kurto@tiny.mcs.usu.edu (Kurt Olsen)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   boottime device configuration

I just had an interesting idea and thought I would get other people
's opinions.  Now that there is the facility to reconfigure devices at
boottime, why not have a /dev_config or something that would hold a list
of device configurations.  This was when a person changes how their hardware
is setup, it won't require a full recompile.  Plus for people not interested
in recompiling a kernel, it would allow them to change the setup of the
generic kernels.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to read a file, but this seems like
it would be quite helpful.  I was also thinking of moving many devices out
to LKMs, but from reading Terry's reply, maybe that's not such a good idea.
However if the devices were written correctly (ie. load at boot time and
stay that way,) we could make a kernel that had minimal support and then
provide a bunch of LKMs that could be loaded depending on a person's hardware.
This would look really nice to people who didn't feel quite adept at building
up a kernel.  Plus make it really easy to do binary upgrades of different
device drivers.

Kurt Olsen