Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:28:32 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.1: Tosh. Satell. Pro 4300, Xircom R2E-100BTX + R2M56GA

Hi !

http://www.toshiba.de/computer/produkte/notebooks/satellitepro4300/produkt.htm
700 Mhz PIII
196 MB RAM
12 GB Harddisk
14" TFT

I want to use FreeBSD 4.1 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 and am
looking for the *best supported* PCMCIA network card for FreeBSD 4.1
and additionally some questions about the builtin winmodem and sound.

1) I'd like to use the new Xircom cards
   Xircom REM56G-100 under FreeBSD 4.1
   which have the full size TP connectors "on board".

   What driver do I need in FreeBSD 4.1 ?
   Does it support 10/100 Mbit full and half-duplex ?
   Whats the quality of the driver ? On my old Laptop I run FreeBSD 3.x
   and there I had the problem, that full-duplex isn't supported.

   I need the laptop for network business, so I need a fast and
   reliable card/driver combination (for doing monitoring and
   such ...

2) What about the *brand new* Xircom cards
   R2E-100BTX and R2M56GA (16-Bit version)

   Is it only the form-factor, or have these cards other advantages ?
   Are they supported under 4.1 ?
   What driver would I need in FreeBSD 4.1 ?
   Does it support 10/100 Mbit full and half-duplex ?

3) Concerning Toshiba hardware:
   Is the builtin Winmodem supported by FreeBSD 4.1 ?
   Is the builtin soundchip supported by FreeBSD 4.1 ?
   The soundchip claims to be compatible to Soundblaster Pro:
   "Toshiba Bass Enhanced Sound System, 16-bit Stereo Sound Blaster
    Pro-kompatibel, 3D-Wide  Modus, MIDI und Wavetable Synthese"

4) I noticed, that some notebooks have a NIC on-board that use our
   fxp network driver. Is that Intel CHIP available on PCMCIA card ?
   That would perhaps be a good alternative....

5) What other notebook would you perhaps recommend instead.
   It should have CD-ROM and Floppy built in, same amount of RAM
   and diskspace and 14" TFT display as mentioned above.
   I need it for about 4 years. So good quality needed, but please
   not more expensive than the Toshiba Tecra (no Tecra, no Protege)

Many thanks for answering the questions.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
                                     http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html