Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:17:57 -0700
From:      "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@dsinw.com>, "Booth, Christopher" <Christopher_Booth@mcgraw-hill.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Motherboard/CPU Query

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To: Booth, Christopher <Christopher_Booth@mcgraw-hill.com>
Cc: 'freebsd' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, July 12, 1999 1:45 PM

> > Is anyone out there running FreeBSD with an Alton 748 PII/III
SVGA/Sound/56k
> > modem (i.e., the video, sound, and modem cards are built in) motherboard
and
> > an Intel Celeron 333a CPU?
> >
> > If so, have you any caveats?
>
> Do not under any circumstances ever, ever, ever run a motherboard
> with everything built in. You have cheap hardware that is barely supported
> by the manufacturers even under Windwos, poor (usually) quality control,
> and it's hard to upgrade single pieces. Especially if one thing goes bad.

I sometimes think that is also true of on-board SCSI but there are times
when an on-board scsi is handy. That is the only on-board product that I can
think of that has a reason. The sound, video, and etc. certainly seem to be
the bottom end of the device capability range. I don't like internal modems
because you can reset them with out a reboot and a built-in modem is looked
at with even greater disapproval. So, I think Rick's first sentence was
phrased just about right.

Kent