Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 21:04:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

:Incidently, I wonder if we're doing this all in the wrong order..  Maybe we
:should be doing package selections first so that we know what the baseline
:system space requirements will be.
:
:Once we know what is going to be installed, we can make fairly realistic
:extrapolations about how to size things.  Nothing sucks more than having
:sysinstall bomb out due to lack of space.Maybe we should be doing the
:partition sizing *last* ?
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter
:--
:Peter Wemm - peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; peter@netplex.com.au

    Well, this only solves part of the problem.  What's the very first thing
    you do after you install FreeBSD from CDRom?  The very first thing I do
    is install a bunch of ports.

    i.e. package selection at sysinstall-time is not a good indication of
    what a machine is going to be used for.  A minimum indication,
    certainly... if we can figure out how much space an installed package
    takes we can check space requirements.  If we did the package selection
    before partitioning the space requirements could be used to set
    the minimum (NOMINAL in my patch) partition sizes.

						    -Matt