Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 02:20:06 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot -P AND autoboot possible?

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:13:20 MST, Doug wrote:
>
> > I can submit patches for the man page(s) if I can get a grip on what's
> > happening where (and when). :-/  What I'd really like to see is a
> > chronological listing, like:
>
> I think you're reading the wrong manpage. I've just had a look at
> loader(8) and can't really see what you'd want to improve. Can you
> confirm that your loader.8 DESCRIPTION starts with
>
>        "The program called loader is the third stage of FreeBSD's
>         three stage bootstrap.

	Yes, that's the one, but as you point out here we're already talking about
the third stage. The problem is (as I mentioned in my request) /boot.config
bypasses this stage. Various parts of the new loader are well documented,
but there is no overall picture of how the various parts fit together.

	In any case, /sys/boot/README does a pretty good job of explaining, better
than the man pages IMO. After reading it several times and a lot of
experimentation, it turns out that I want to put the 'boot -P' command in
/boot/loader.rc. If I include an autoboot statement, the 'boot -P' command
is ignored, so it looks like there is no way to do what I want to do.

	Note to the boot developers, please consider this a feature request to add
the functionality to both autoboot, and boot with flags (like -P). Also,
the autoboot prompt message requires "quotes" around it. This is not
indicated in /boot/loader.help, and the loader man page does not indicate
the ability to specify the message at all.

HTH,

Doug