Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:03:22 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Notes on upgrades after libpcre update

Kevin Oberman ha scritto:
> As many of you noticed, the update of devel/pcre bumped hte version of
> libpcre.so which is a dependency of LOTS of things.

This was a very poor choice, we shouldn't have bumped the version. When
there is a bump between two minor releases (8.31 -> 8.32) a red led
should blink in port maintainer. The port should have defined:

USE_AUTOTOOLS=  libtool
USE_GNOME=      ltverhack

to avoid bumbing the version. In fact this is the diff in configure.ac:

-m4_define(libpcre_version, [1:1:0])
-m4_define(libpcre16_version, [0:1:0])
+m4_define(libpcre_version, [3:0:2])
+m4_define(libpcre16_version, [2:0:2])

It says that the new shared lib is compatible with the old lib (only new
interfaces were added), since:

1 - 0 = 3 - 2 = 1
1 - 0 = 2 - 2 = 0

(from the [current:revision:age] version = current - age rule)

--
Alex Dupre