Date:      3 Feb 2009 15:12:45 -0000
From:      Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Subject:   Re: UTF as Filename Extension

In article <10911.2654.10281@localhost> you wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:43:01 -0800, "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net> wrote:
> > Here is a simple discussion that is probably more complex than I'd like
> > it to be.   Is there any way to enforce a UTF-8 encoding of a file,
> > perhaps by filename extension?  Could such an encoding solve cross
> > platform line break incompatibility?
>
> I find that Emacs makes a very good job of 'hiding' these annoying
> details from me.  In both X11 and `no window' sessions of the editor,
> the coding-system auto-detection of new buffers works 99% of the time
> and I can specify it manually when it doesn't.
>
> Using the filename for automated guesses of what the content may be is
> probably not going to work so well.  Windows has tried doing it, and see
> all the ATTACHMENT.JPG.EXE trojans they got as a result :)
I have had luck using vim and setting the following in my environment.
	LANG=en_US.UTF-8
	LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

I have also put utf-8 bomb characters at the beginning of my text files.
Take a look at:
	http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode

Larry Baird                        | http://www.gta.com
Global Technology Associates, Inc. | Orlando, FL
Email: lab@gta.com                 | TEL 407-380-0220, FAX 407-380-6080