Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:51:13 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Alex Le Heux <alexlh@funk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strangeness in atapi.c?

> While going through atapi.c on my 2.2.5 system, attempting to find out
> what's wrong with my ATAPI Zipdrive, I found the following:

You could upgrade to -stable, which contains the wfd driver which
(almost) works with the ATAPI Zip.  Large writes (appear to) cause the
drive to lock up.

>         case AT_TYPE_DIRECT:            /* direct-access */
> 	case AT_TYPE_CDROM:             /* CD-ROM device */
> 	#if NWCD > 0
> 		/* ATAPI CD-ROM */
> 	[etc]
>
> This seems to mean that any device that is AT_TYPE_DIRECT (like the Zipdrive)
> will get attached as a cdrom. Is this correct? If so, why?

Some old (broken) CDROMs report themselves incorrectly.

If you are interested in working out what's wrong with the wfd driver,
please drop me a line off the list and I can bring you up to speed.  If
you have the bits and some time it should be fairly straightforward.

(It is trivial to retrofit the wfd driver into 2.2.5; see
 www.jp.freebsd.org/~junichi)

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\