Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:21:24 -0600
From:      "Mark Tempel" <mtempel@visi.com>
To:        <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Timeline for development

> Keep in mind that building the FreeBSD userland can happen using NetBSD
> as a base in parallel with much of the kernel development.  Though the
> kernel is the "hard" part, there is a LOT of userland, and I heartily
> recommend turning loose those who are interested in that part of the
> port ASAP.  Having a CVS repo or something like that for them to drop
> stuff in as it is complete, or at least complete enough, will allow them
> to contribute almost immediately.

I agree.  I want to install NetBSD on one of these machines, but
have been having a few problems...SS5 no CDROM no floppy
and my network is 100mb not 10 mb...

SS10 Dead Hard drive....Waiting for a replacement... :-(

After a few failed attempts I did manage to get NetBSD installed, but
I have been running into a problem where  every time I try to
mount -u -w my / partition (to finish the install) mount fails and
says /dev/sd1a on / : specified device does not match mounted device

I wonder if this means that I added wrong (I actually have a BS in Math
so that would be a bit embarrasing) when I did the disklabel?

Any suggestions?

> > I also wanted to add  (just for the hardware list on the web page)
> > that I have a SS5 and a SS10 dedicated to this effort.  When
> > my 10/100 switch shows up I will put one of these on the net
> > for the abuse of anyone who wants to help.
>
> An SS10, huh.  Spoiled.  ;^)

Spoiled? Nah... I just dumpster dive in the right dumpsters ;-)

> > Another note:  I have been trying to build a cross-compiler
> > that groks the architecture sparc-unknown-freebsd.  I
>
> Oh please, just go with sparc-sun-freebsd.  ;^)

Actually I modified the configure script to accept
sparc-*-freebsd* so your suggestion should work... :-)

[snip]

> No, but I can tell you your best bet is to pick a home for the cross tools
> and dump the entire set of FreeBSD include files in that home somewhere.
> When we start getting down to it, we can create the sparc specific include
> files, comparing the alpha and i386 ones as a starting point.  It might be
> a good idea to start thinking about sparc vs. sparc64 early on as well.

I think this list has seen alot of discussion in the past years regarding sparc
vs. sparc64.  I think that such a discussion is warranted. My personal opinion
is that we should plan on supporting sparc64 as Sun has end of lifed sparc32.
I, however, do not have an ultraSparc (wow, if I did I would really feel
spoiled) and would like to get my feet wet porting FreeBSD to machines
that I do have before I try to justify the purchase of an ultraSparc to my
wife ;-)

It seems to me that a port to sparc32 would not be a waste of time, as
ultraSparc can use sparc32 binaries (with some issues I'm sure). This would
aid a port to ultraSparc. I am certainly not an authority here though...

Comments?

Mark Tempel
mtempel@visi.com