Date:      Wed, 1 May 2019 11:41:34 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Goran_Meki=c4=87?= <meka@tilda.center>, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

On 01/05/2019 09:31, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> They are experts and they are paid for their work. I am not. I am
> maintaining a few packages and the reality is I don't know what they
> need in base. Till these days I don't care about this kind of
> dependency. I am not system developer or programmer and I think there
> are more than just me who see this as a kind of problem.
> So in this case, pkg base gives me nothing but more work on those packages.

This is a UI problem that is largely addressed by sane defaults.  For
example:

- Ports for libraries default to depending on libc and libm, with
poudriere warning if you link to anything in /lib that you don't have a
dependency for.

- Ports for programs default to depending on a large subset of base
(probably not things like vi, but probably including sh for anything
that may want to call system()).

I would a few oddball things will have other dependencies that will need
explicit handling (for example, a GUI tool for network configuration may
depend on ifconfig), but I'd expect you to spend a lot less time
worrying about base system dependencies than you waste from the ports
system's refusal to make plist generation automatic.

David