Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 15:57:07 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/18877: Also install libraries for the Wine port!

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 10:30:02AM -0700, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>  I consider this an *extremely* bad idea.  You may be right, in principle,
>  but for the ports we should strive to keep the differences between the
>  official sources and the ports minimal.
>
>  As a matter of fact, I lost many hours in updating the Wine port and
>  bringing it back into fashion just due to extraneous modifications and
>  additions, and I definitely want to avoid such a situation happening
>  again.

I'm sorry, but this is Wine's fault, not ours, that they are stuck on
aout-style names, which have not been used in FreeBSD for nearly two
years, ever since 3.0-CURRENT went stable, and some have been using ELF
format in FreeBSD for longer than that.  We're in the ELF world, not
aout.  Please consider putting the perl line in the port until Wine
developers resync the sources on this issue.  After all, no one who's
going to run Wine is going to also be running FreeBSD 2.2.8 or earlier;
we've got 4.0 out the door already... and ports do not support anything
older than 3.4-STABLE anyway.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>