Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:32:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d, and changes to /etc/rc?

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 11:59:38PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> [ Creating /etc/rc.d, populating with scripts to start/stop system
>   daemons, tweaking /etc/rc* to use these scripts instead ]
>
> > What are people's thoughts on doing the same thing to the base system?
>
> Well, the silence has been deafening. I've had three positive comments
> by private mail, no negative comments by private mail, and nothing on
> the list at all. Not even a "Take one step down that road and we
> *will* kill your firstborn". Is everyone asleep?
>
> If there are no more comments by Thursday I'll take it as tacit agreement,
> and go ahead. I'll do sendmail first.

Without runlevels, or states as terry would prefer, the scripts are still
only one way, and don't offer a clean way to shut down the system.  You
may not like this, but Oracle does, and is really happy when it gets to
close all transactions, flush waiting comits, and dismount the database
before init kills it off.  The SysV method is also pretty standardised,
with many people familiar with the why's and how's.  Being able to set the
order by name and number is also a nice feature.  Don't go making yet
another startup process, and further removing FreeBSD from what is already
a highly nonstandard standard.

Jamie Bowden

--
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)