Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:44:47 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@bsdwins.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: write(2) returns error saying read only filesystem when trying  to write to a partition

Mike Smith wrote:

> > > FreeBSD just behaves differently.  If you want to write to the whole
> > > disk, open the whole-disk device, not the 'c' partition.
> >
> > Thanks Mike, /dev/da18 works fine for me although I notice that
> > /dev/da18s1 does not.  There seems to be some inconcistencies
> > in this area.
>
> That would be something of an understatement...
>
> > Please tell me (and for the benefit of the list) as to why
> > I cant use /dev/da18s1c ?
>
> The 'c' device won't let you overwrite the beginning of the slice/disk,
> since that's where the partition information is kept.

In the grand tradition of being allowed to shoot yourself in the foot,
I would like to be able to do such things as this is clearly what I
intend.  Since we dont normally hold peoples hands for other things,
why cant we allow big holes in my feet for this too ?

Regardless /dev/da18s1 should work as for /dev/da18

I know... send patches... unfortunately my day job hasn't seen the
light yet so I cant work on FreeBSD at work.

--
 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Science Corporate Information Systems         Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537