Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:34:40 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Radoslav Vasilev" <rvasilev@uni-svishtov.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, deckland@goplay.com
Subject:   Re: install world failled

In message <000e01c09a7a$521b91c0$52ad44c1@unisvishtov.bg> "Radoslav Vasilev" writes:
: So, after successfull: make buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel and =
: reboot, my
: make installworld failled with:
: make installworld
: install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 444     libcom_err.so.2 /usr/lib
: install: exec(strip): No such file or directory

I'd check the UPDATING file.

I saw a similar error on the 3.2-release -> 4.2-stable upgrade I did
tonight.  I did a buildworld elsewhere and then an installworld on the
target box and got a similar error.  I was foolish enough to think
that installworld could be run on a 3.x system.  It appaers that the
new binareis somehow make this not work (since you can't run the new
binaries on a 3.x system).  Rebooting a 4.x kernel in single user mode
and restarting the installworld fixed the problem.

Warner