Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:48:03 -0500
From:      Aaron Burghardt <aburgh@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with pcn ethernet driver

I have an older HP Kayak XU workstation that I cannot get the ethernet
working on. I have tried FreeBSD 4.9, 5.1, and 5.2. The device is
recognized and configured under ifconfig, I can bring the interface up
and down, change media options, etc. But, I don't get any
communications over the interface. The dhcp client fails to get an
address from the server and pinging reports the host is down. I have
tried forcing it to 100BT and both full-duplex and half-duplex, with no
luck.

Everything works fine under Windows 2000. The card is identified in
Windows as an "HP ethernet with LAN remote power adapter". Looking at
the controller chip on the card, it is labeled AM 79C971KC,
PCnet/FAST+.

Any suggestions on how to make this work or how to get more diagnostic
info?

Thanks,

Aaron Burghardt