Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:58:41 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what are these characters please?

On 11 Apr 2002 at 15:49, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2002-04-11 07:38, Dan Langille wrote:
> > And line 14 is:
> >
> >         [Submitted by: Ville SkyttESC,AdESC(B
> >         &lt;ville.skytta@iki.fi&gt;]
> >
> > I think my goal here is remove all non-ISO-8859-1 characters from the
> > incoming cvs-all message.  I've been searching newsgroups (comp.lang.perl
> > and comp.text.xml) trying to find a simple solution.
>
> You can probably get away with using col(1) and proper environment
> settings to filter the CVS logs:
>
>  $ env LANG=en_US LC_ALL=en_US.ISO8859-1 col -b
>  S ren Schmidt
>  S ren Schmidt
>
>  $ env LANG=C LC_ALL=C col -b
>  S ren Schmidt
>  Sren Schmidt
>
> The name of S ren includes "o/" and it is a valid ISO8859-1 character.
> col(1) can understand and filter correctly based on this fact, but I'm not
> sure if it can strip all the ANSI escape codes that you were having trouble
> with.  It's just an idea.  Might work, or might not...
>
> I don't know how you are using the CVS logs, so you'll have to set up
> some Perl pipe to do the work yourself.  Perhaps something like:
>
>  close(STDIN);
>  open(STDIN, "env LANG=en_US LC_ALL=en_US.ISO8859-1 col -b |");

The website (http://www.FreshPorts.org/) takes incoming messages from the
cvs-all mailing list and uses procmail to dump the raw message to disk.
Then a daemon takes over and processes the file using perl.

I don't know if what you suggested will apply to this situation.

Thank you.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples