Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 12:18:47 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: threads performance

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > The issue of kernel threads is on my plate, I have been *ordered*
>
> I think he was still wanting to know (and I'm darn curious myself)
> why our *user* threads are so slow in comparison to the user thread
> packages on other platforms.  I'm not saying kernel threads aren't
> neat or needed, I'm just wondering what specific performance bogon
> we're suffering from in userland which makes it so?

	This is in support of the importance of getting some kind of
well-performing threads into -Stable as soon as practically possible.
One of my repeat customers who has been very happy with FreeBSD in the
past is developing a new Unix port of one of his very successful
programs. He asked me about FreeBSD's thread support and I told him
(honestly at the time) that I didn't know much about it but I'd set him
up an account on my -Stable box at home and let him test his stuff.

	To say he was dissatisfied is an understatement. :-/ The short version
is that for this app he is probably going to recommend Linux on the low
end because they have (from what I understand) pretty good kernel
threads support already and Irix on the high end.

	Please don't think I'm being critical (about this anyway :). I know all
the reasons why this hasn't happened yet. I'm just trying to offer a
solid data point that shows how important it is.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet