Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2013 01:53:52 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 07:31 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 00:33:49 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>

> > root@freebsd:/usr/home/rocketmouse # ls -l /mnt
> > drwxrwx---  21 1000  1000   4096 Oct 28 19:11 archlinux
> > drwxrwxrwx   2 root  wheel  4096 Jan 20 20:09 dump
> >
> it seems that you do not have a user with the id 1000 on this machine.
> Create one and that user will be able to access it.

Hallo Erich :)

correct, as already mentioned, the uid of the FreeBSD user is 1001. Why
doesn't change chown the user and group, why do I get ---? I'll try it
again, perhaps it was voodoo ;).

Assumed it wasn't voodoo, is there no way to get consistent rwx
permissions for "others" or to get a consistent group "wheel" instead of
"1000"? Why do I get those permissions, owner and group automatically?
And why does it differ to what I get for /dump?

I guess it would be possible to change the id for the existing FreeBSD
user and then to chown /home/user_name to fit to 1000?

Ciao,
Ralf