Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 00:46:21 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "David Banning" <david@banning.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: digiboard serial port behaviour problem

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that the TERMINAL hangs and not the session?

This is something that you need to check - perhaps with a laptop
or something else running a terminal emulator.

>It makes no difference what type of terminal I use, or the emulation.

This would seem to be a session thing, not a terminal problem.  But,
if it really is a terminal problem, then you might be able to
specify padding in the termcap entry for the terminal that would
fix the problem.  Padding was often used for older 3-wire installations that
used xon/xoff and the older terminals that
only supported xon/xoff.  For example, the original DEC VT100
did not support RTS/CTS flow control, only xon/xoff

>This digiboard problem does not occur in SCO under the old 3.2
>system.
>
>I just wonder if anyone knows if this type of thing can be helped
>by adjusting one of the many parameters that are changable with
>stty. I get the feeling it's a timing thing. All the terminals are
>just 3 wires. I wonder if that could be another problem, as I
>am guessing that the other wires would provide flow control,
>and in their absence, I would be depending I think, only on
>xon/xoff.

One big problem with 3-wire installs is that there's no way
for the computer to tell that the terminal is switched on or off,
because DTR in these installations is usually pinned high.

>I changed the speed of one terminal from 38600 to 9600 with no
>success.

That won't matter if it's a padding problem - if you need padding
in the termcap entry for the terminal, the terminal can act up
even if you running at 1200 baud.