Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 06:26:02 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Lubo Jakab <ljakab@xcem.com>
Cc:        "'Bill Fumerola'" <billf@chc-chimes.com>, "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mbufs

>well if worthless, than how would you explain other box with one NIC is
>running % in one digit range with 20 users connected and box in this case 3
>NIC's and no users, if i connect users i have feeling that number will go
>up, so may question was where can i increase (or do i need to?) 149Kb to
>something bigger

   Sorry, but I failed to communicate what the number means. What is reported
in the older version of netstat is NOT the limit, but the peak in-use since
the system was started. The %in-use is the ratio of the number currently
in-use vs. the peak number since system startup. Your twenty user system
simply had a high peak at one point and settled down to something less than
1/10th of that (thus the low %in-use). In that version of netstat that you're
using, there is no way to get the maximum number.
   Newer versions of FreeBSD netstat include the maximum as well as the peak
and current in-use.

-DG

David Greenman